Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tuesday, October 28th. I'm Home and the Marathon is Done.

Good Morning every one and a wet rainy morning it is but I'm enjoying it as I'm back at my apartment for the time being. Lots of things to catch up upon over the next few days and a lot of packing to do as well. But thats unimportant.

The Marine Corps Marathon, in the Greater Washington DC Metro area is Done. I finished under my own power and I'm content with my times and efforts to raise funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, To all my Donors a deep and heart felt; Thank You All!.

The statistics for the marathon. Aproximately 30,000 runners and I didn't even try to count the spectators and well wishers , to all of you also Thank You for the emotional support. As for myself, well I'll post the sttistical information and then a cut & past of material I've written covering my impressions, thoughts and images of the last few days.

Clock time; 5 hours 23 minutes and 56 seconds.
Net time, from crossing the official start to finish; 5 hours and 15 minutes.
Pace; 12 minutes a mile.
Overall; 13,783.
Males; 8957th (to cross the line).
Division; 740th (for my age group).

Now the cut and past covering the last few days in depth.

26 October, 2008. The Marine Corps Marathon.

OK, today is Sunday, the 26th of October 2008, The time is now 17:00 Hours/5:00 PM and I'm back in my Hotel Room. First my impressions about Washington DC since arriving Saturday Afternoon. Niggardly, Greedy, Money Grubbing, and Just Plan Ignorrant are my fist bimpressions and since first impressions are important. The City of Washington and the surrounding Virginia Metropolitan area has failed miserably.

Union Station in DC on Saturday Afternoon, you need to navigate arround slow wide cues of people. Informational and Direction Signage is minimal to None existant and not all too clear of intent. Unless you've have a person how has navigated the confusing mismash of ignorant layout and addaptation you're scewed.

Still the shuttle service to the Hotel was aceptable aside for on driver who was impatient to get back to collect the next possible set of fairs. Well I can understand that to an extent as Amtrak was only an hour off schedule arriving in DC.

The DC Metro System. Another fouling of the genepool allowed some motherless bean counter to develop a system based upon a zone fair system. Only there is no explanation of how the zone fairs work and you're left on your own to try to figure it out. Fist the stops are all listed Alphabeticly and a price is indicated . But if you're a visitor and need to see where the stops are in relation to a system map you're screwed as thats not conviently located, a system map is at a seperate informational Kiosk and your stuck shifting your attention back and forth between different places to develop an Idea of how much you need to spend inorder to make a minimal payment.

Another Ignorant aspect of the DC Metro is that it delays you by making you use the metrocard to exit the station so that the fair for the zone can be collected. The dung beatles who developed the system and run it currently could learn better lessons from Europe, NewYork City and Boston.

So would I ever spend a dime more than essential to help support a faultering system. F no!

Now as for the Marine Corps Marathon itself, Aside from the major ignorrance of transportation issues to the start and return to the hotel. The Marine Corps Marathon is a great run. Would I do it again? I can't honestly answer. Again issues I've noted stem from the transportation side making the access less than good and departure from the finish point is problematic too.

The Metro to the pentagon leaves you walking a longer than needed circuitous route to the baggage check. Adequate temporary signage to the baggage drop off is lacking. So unless you've been there before you're at a loss for neccessary information on where to go. Still I must commend the the members of the U.S. Marine Corps for they were able to give me the directions I did so need.

As for starting points compared to the start in relation to the finish line, you spend a great deal of time walking to your start corral, even knowing you've a further walk to the actually start point of the raced depending upon what your estimated finish time will be.
I chose the 5:00 to 5:29 starting corral based upon my estimated finishing time. From the Gun Start of the race till I actually stepped over the timing bar at the start I would estimate at a minimum of a 15 minutes was expended.

So after walking at least 15 minutes I finally crossed the start point and begin my marathon. A few related items concerning the Marthon. The original weather forecast was for a high in the mid to upper 60's with a high likelyhood of rain in the afternoon. I was looking forward to the cloud cover and cooler temps and thus did not employ Sunblock. So what happens? Well the Skies break clear, no clouds in the sky and I get a modest sunburn on my neck, shoulders, upper arms. and the temps push 70 degrees or possibly higher during the run. As for my mode of dress, Army BDU Cap, Team in Training Running Singlet, Army Physical Fitness shorts, Veterans Administration Supplied Kneed Braces, Wicking Socks and Brooks DEFYANCE running shoes with about 35 miles on them for break inpurposes and with today's 26.2 mile run + interminable walking, over 61.4 miles on the shoes.

OK so much for that gripping and complaining.

As for the course itself, The hills weren't as steep as I trained upon but the long straight aways where the terrain is flat was an adjustment, That and just the shear volume of runners.

I planned to stay ahead of the 5 hour and 30 group for my run but alas that was not to be. I actually ran stronger and faster than I inteneded and caught the lead of the 5 hour group and passed them near the 8 mile mark and I don't think I saw them again.

As for myself, I was in good spirits most of the run and even encouraged the crowd, to ring the cowbells more and cheer louder along several points. Well along much of the course. Finally after the 20 mile mark my fast early pace started to pay me back and I was feeling the effects in my calves. between the 21 and 22 mile points it was time to breakdown and walk a bit., Yet some of the runners were not running much faster than my walk. I just rolled my shoulders back looked forward and marched hard into it. After a bit I recovered enough to run some more but for the last 4 miles of the marathon that was to be my routine. Run till I was feeling the effects and walk hard till I felt like running again. near the 24/25 mile mark I broke out my secret weapon. A Mantra. This is my course It will not beat me, I will beat it. At that point I had a strong hamstring pull and just worked my way through the pain I felt.

Finally near the last mile I broke into my jogging pace to the Marine Corps Memorial. I attempted to maintain that pace up the hill but the first half just wouldn't let me do that, after I made my right turn and saw the finishing arch I made my final sprint. Yes sprint. I don't know where that energry reserve came from but I passed runners who gave it their all and were as tired as myself but managed to stay ahead of me till that point. I don't remember my exact final time on the clock I'd like to say 5 hours and 21 minutes, it may of been 5 hours and 23 minutes. But I shall wait on checking the results and and post them a little later.

20:00 hours/8:00PM Its late in the evening and I'm calling it a night within the hour. I've had dinner dessert, and a couple of beers. I feel if I go souvenier shopping I'll do it Monday Morning. I could take the subway to the pentagon and hit their PX up. But thats doubtful. Even grabbing stuff here is not too likely as the prices are jacked up too much. I don't know what the profit margins vs taxes are but its a disinsentive to support the local economy. As an example I'll be posting this and other information either from the Amtrak or after I get home as paying $10.00 for internet access isn't within my budgetary allocation, especially when so many Motels will provide internet access as part of the room fee. You may consider the Marriott Hotel chain off my short list of facilities to use whilst traveling. Hello Motel 6 and Econolodges.

Well this is all for tonight, I'm headed off to bed shortly and tomrrow will likely be a long day traveling back home. Then I need to start packing the tent and preparing my caravan for a mid November excursion to Mississippi.

Monday, 27 October, 2008.
16:00/4:00 Pm bouncing along on Amtrack trying to type this blog/journal entry. Well I'm on my way back to NY state. The marathon over and a small tour of the Nation's Capitol done. As for my impressions of Monday in DC near the Library of Congress, The Russell Senate Office Building, The Supreme Court Building is shocking, The Police and Security presence is overwhelming; Even with Congress and the Senate not being in session the security presence is pervasive. Now its true I wouldn't go out of my way to aid a politician, but by the same token, I won't go out of my way to harm one either, Although I can understand the truth about any U.S. Political leader being a potential target, even amongst themselves.

Still I'm less than impressed by the overall high costs in the DC area and the way it is driven onto everyone. But those entities that should be paying. Lobbyists, PACs, Business and Industrial Barons seem to enjoy many ,too many priveleges, when I see this.

Still the interrior of our nation's Capitol Building is wonderous and enlightening of our history. I would recommend that an indepth tour be taken if the opprotunity is ever provided.

I'm still less than impressed with the Greater DC Area Metro even if it is clean. Systems maps aren't located conviently enough, the Metro Card Kiosk appear to be configured never to return change for unused fare thus robbing the tourist of money. OK thirty cents may not seem like much but it adds up over the course of thousands of visitors robbed by the niggardly individuals charged with operating and maintaining a poorly designed system.

Well its now a 4 hour train ride via Amtrak back to New Rochelle on a shaky train. The wonder of the North East Corridor. then I'll get the 62 bus to White Plains and transfer there to Metro North to Brewster North where I'll get with my youngest brother for another over night stay befor going home to clear out the Apartment.

Union Station in Washington DC was also never designed for the volume of passenger traffic now using it as well. I believe Penn Station and grand Central Station Both in NYC do a much better job of Passenger movement. Well, most of the trip has helped uphold my already poor image and expectations of the Washington DC Metro Area. Needless to say my impressions are whats being passed along and not the filtering of a national guide book extoling the virtues of the area. Oh there are some very nice aspects but, the negatives seem to stand out glaringly.

28 october, 09:33 AM
Late addendum; The Bee Line Bus serivice in Westchester County is as jacked up as the DC Metro system. Their routing and informational signs do not clearly designate AM and PM times, nor do they inform you that from the New Rochelle transit Hub you need to walk two block to main street to catch the #60 Bus to get to the White Plains Train Satation, So a very loud F you to the inbreds operating the bus transit system in Westchester County, My the monies for administrative pay be slashed so badly the senior management is required to ride their own service and not be provided any info thats logical, concise and inteligent.

Well thats all for now
Aside from a few rants thrown in my experiences were pretty good really. But the rants and complaints are justifiable.

Again Thank you to every one who donated to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society on my behalf. Have a very safe and easy week, Enjoy Halloween on Friday if you observe it, and take care of your selves.

Cheers & Prosit Alles!

Q.

No comments: