Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sunday morning; One week till the Marine Corps Marathon.

OK so Thursday was my last entry, what has transpired since then? Not too much really, just trying to stay in a reasonable training mode for next Sunday's marathon in Washington DC. Since the marathon itself is week and a half befor the elections and just before Halloween, it could be interesting. Whats scarier, Lobbyists, Politicians seeking ofice or little kids trick or treating?

OK On friday morning I only ran 2.13 miles and kill that off in 18:35, climbing 222 feet to finish the first mile. After that just the mundane aspects of life, went to an Optometry shop for a quicky eye exam and order new glasses. Its been about 2 years since my last prescription change and I'm rough on lenses & frames. Hey theres only so much you can do with cable ties, duct tape and bailing wire; Bubble gum is just so unsanitary. Friday evening I took a 2&1/2 mile walk. On my return home I was estatic as I knew I wouldn't need my alarm clock at all during the weekend. My landlady's lover is in for the weekend. I really hate the Opera performances.

Saturday Morning after a fitfully sleep, Hmmm I wonder why. Did I say I hate live performances, I do especially when the stage is overhead. Well since its not a running day and I'm up early I might as well go out for breakfast. Fire up the motorcycle and off I go. Actually I was planning to be out most of the day with a few others anyway so it weren't a problem. Met with a few other riders and took them on back and side roads ove to Danbury CT to a good German Restuarant for Lunch. I Return home about 4:30 put some things away, throw the bagpipes in the van and go over to North Dock on West Point practice a bit by the river. After that park the van by the MP station, and go for maybe a three mile walk at worst. Up to the Football stadium around the NW corner down to Central area and out Thayer Gate. Stop at the South Gate for a couple of beers. Tried the new swill from Budwizzer, American Ale, Not great closer to a IPA than a good ale, but the color is OK. I'd get it as a alternative to good ales for the coors & bud drinkers as they like swill anyway. Back home and hopefully a nights sleep.

Sunday morning 04:00 and thus the Opera begins a new. OK get up get dress in my running clothes, check the e-mails and get out by 6AM leaving my MP# player charging and Looking forward to the morning's EIGHT & ONE HALF Mile Run.

Bear Mountain State Park, its a pretty place and nice to visit. I don't go often as motorcycles are charged full price for parking and commercial vehicles, ie my personal van, are not allowed to be used on park roads except by permit only and I don't qualify.

Well I'm in the park by 06:40 and now need to make a decision. On my run this morning do I want/need to wear full wind protection or not. I opt for the jacket head cover and gloves, leaving the legs exposed and start off from the Kiosk at the Bear Mountain Inn for Perkins Observatory 4.25 miles and 1,123 feet up hill.
Compared to the places I've been running The Roads are a gradual pitch and thus relatively easy. The distance to climb will be the real challenge.

I star with the breaking of dawn more or less and its light enough at 07:00 to dispense with carrying a flashlight. Traffic is sparse to nonexistant and off I go First 1/4 mile a level space to warm into this before turning onto the road leading up hill. 24minutes and 7 seconds into my climb I arrive at the Gate which is closed and dodge around it and continue upward. Well the skys are getting lighter and southward facing sides of the mountain were protected from the North Wind this morning; So I'm comfortably warm and have the wind shell open for venting. As i swing around the West side of Bear Mountain the wind hits me, Still its not as bad as I though it was going to be and i soldier on up the hill. Finally I'm in the area of the overlook at Perkins Observatory. I can make out the grey towers of Manhattan outlined against the lighter grey clouds above and behind and I pass my halfway point at 49 minutes and 27 seconds. Now I can ease on down the road. All this time I have the road from the gate up to, around and back down to the gate to myself I'm running on the double yellow with out worry or concern. The only creatures who are startles are some white tail deer which leave me to my running and thoughts. 1 hour 10 minutes and 6 seconds back at the gate, around and down hill I continue. As I'm running down hill I see 4 bicyclists laboring up, I think they were surprised to see a runner out so early in the morning. A few cars and motorcyclists pass me again going up the mountain and I'm on the last leg back inpast the Admin Building and finish fast on the flats returning to the Bear Mountain Inn. total time 1 hour 29 minutes and 15.86 seconds.

Start.. 00:00
Gate... 24:07
Tower.. 49:27
Gate... 1:10:06
Finish. 1:29:15
Elevation climbed 1,123 feet
Elevation descended 1,123 feet

And I didn't even need an alarm clock to get up and out in the morning. I still hate live performances. Well Time to get out some more for the remainder of the day.

Have an interesting time everyone,
Q

No comments: