Sunday, October 12, 2008

Psychotic Sunday, hey with me it could be.

Saturday, 11 October.
Ran 3.3 miles this morning then went to my younger brother's home to secure my small sail boat in his yard for the winter. Although the weather has been pleasant enough to take it out I've been physically beat much of the time from the physical training effort for the up coming marathon.

After I disconnected the trailer from the van and covered the boat with a tarp, my brother and I helped one of his neighbors split fire wood for the upcoming winter. Following that is was move some big rocks which seem to sprout from the soil of their own initiative and move them to where we can start building a rock wall later. Also we picked up some fire wood that I had cut previously and shift that to the pile to split and dry for next season.

Physically I am tired, I want to hold off going to bed for a couple of hours thougg; for if I don't I'll be up way too early for the day again tomorrow. Also on Sunday the 12th I've an 16 to 18 mile run planned as my last long rung as I'm tapering for the marathon on October 26th. I'm not worried about running the marathon, maybe a be nervous and yes there is some apprehension but nothing that the actual event won't erase. I know I can go the full distance and I will. The stoic in me has kicked in. I just need to do this Sunday morning's run and its all gravy from there.

Well that pretty much winds up the Saturday effort. I'm mentally tired from waking up at 03:00 and the mind needs to go off line and reboot. Sleep perchance to dream aye but theres the rub. Well another hour and a half and its lights out for me. Good night,

Sunday, October 12th;
Woke up at 05:00 and felt good, pretty much well rested from Saturday and that would be critical for today.
By 05:30 I had a bowl of cereal for breakfast and by 06:30 I was headed out the door to Fire Station 3 on Route 293, West Point, NY. for my final long run before the Marine Corps Marathon in 2 weeks. Yes, I should of had a better dinner last night than a cappacino muffin, but thats water under the bridge and all that.

I arrive at the fire station by 06:45 and do some easy stretching to prepare for the run. I'm also hanging with the guys and enjoying their ribs and jibs at each out while waiting to go off shift before my run. They are a good group of people overall.

Still onto the run; just a little after 07:00 I start my stopwatch and lumber out of the Fire Station entrance, cross the street and turn west towards Long Mountain Parkway 5&4/10 miles away. Its scary how I've learned the mileages to various land marks. Well go another 100 meters past the overpass and head back towards the Fire Station. If I stopped at the Station that would of been just shy of 11 miles and I head down hill towards the west Point Golf Course and my next turn point 1&1/2 miles from the Fire Station. Then its a mile & a half back up hill to the Fire Station. Hey did I happen to mention its also a mile up hill to Long Mountain Parkway from just past the 4 mile mark?

At the Fire Station I stop but not for a short break but to replenish my water carrier, aka The Camel Back.
I'm using a two litre version and the five pounds it weighs full is much more noticable now. Still I head out back towards Long Mountain Parkway again, Only this time I'm only going out to my 3 mile mark near Area K to turn around at.

Near the 18 mile mark my legs give the first sign of lactic acid build up and my calves are burning. i slow to a fast walk going up hill for a few yards and then back into the run. Again near the 19&3/4 mile mark again the burn is back and slow to a fast walk for a little bit before getting back into my run for the final push up the hill. And back at the Fire Station I'm done.

Total time running was 4 hours and 17 minutes to cover the twenty miles. Not my best speed but I wasn't going for speed today. I was going for road time. Counting out the time for the water stop my road time was 4 hours 4 minutes and 34 seconds.

Well with that run finished I walk around the parking lot several times to slowly allow my body to adjust to a much reduced physical demand and then stretch and out a bit. After stretching I use the shower at the Fire Station before going off to do the day's laundry as well. next stop Round Pond Recreation Area.

So I go up to Round Pond and start my laundry, while waiting I break out my electronic bagpipes and practice with those for a while. Finish off the last bottle of ersatz gatoraid and wait. After I'm done with the laundry its back home have a bacon & mayonaise sandwich, a protein drink and a couple of handfuls of trail mix for lunch before making this journal entry into the blog.

And that brings me to 15:00 hours and time to disappear yet again for awhile. Now headed to the PX to purchase a second pair of jeans that fit and then maybe to the South Gate for a beer, probably a Half & Half made with Murphy's and Sam Adams. Lighter in taste than straight stout and just as enjoyable too.

Catch you all later have a safe and easy day & week. Tomorrow I'm sleeping in. Nyah probably not I'm too used to waking up early but I'll try.

Q

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yo Bro once this run is under your belt I'll buy you all the balck and tans you can drink though straight stout is a wee bit healthier and I look forward to tales of successful misery once the marathon is complete...Paul