Monday, October 13, 2008

Restful & Relaxed Monday and a little introspection.

Yes a restful and relaxed Monday, not by virtue of the Columbus Holiday Weekend. Although that could help. No restful and relaxing as I took a break from marathon training today inorder for my body to recover from my last really long training run before the Marine Corps Marathon on October 26th.

I'm not a strong athlete but I do have a good reason to run in my first marathon ever. I'm doing so as a fund raising effort for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
OK so what might be my connection with Leukemias or Lymphomas? My older brother is an eighteen year survivor of Leukemia and since I've retired from the Fire Department at West Point, NY. I've had time to consider doing some different things with my life now that I've more free time to do so.

The course of treatment my brother went through was difficult to watch and still on my days off from work when I wasn't performing my duties with the U.S. Army Reserve I would to to Westchester County Medical Center in Valhalla NY. to visit with my brother. The Nurses there were rather surpised to see how often I was there and asked if I wouldn't mind visiting with another Leukemia Patient who's family lived further away and couldn't visit as often and so I would stop in and try to cheer up a younger person who was diagnose with the disease at a later stage than my brother and had a worse prognosis.

So I've seen different sides of how the disease strikes individuals and families. Knowing what I do and having been involved at a personal level in the past; I decided now was the time to try to do a little more involved to help others.

I've lost friends due to various causes over the years. Cancers, accidents, old age they all take an emotional toil one way or another. I can either rant and rail against the unfairness of things or I can take an active participatory roll in attempting to make a lasting change.

I do like to think that the roles I've played in life so far have made a positive change for others. Being a Professional and Volunteer Fireman and Emergency Medical Technician; Soldier trained in Civil Affairs assigned to Humanitarian and Peace Keeping Missions, And now as a participant in a fund raising venture hoping to discover a cure or better treatment for Lymphomas and Leukemias.

Doing things such as supporting Team Guinan in their quest to honor John Guinan and support Braking the Cycle was but an added benefit for me and invaluable for helping me learn a little more about my self. Please see Wendy Bounds' Little Chapel on the River Blog for more on the Braking the Cycle Ride. And yes, I'm more than willing to Support Team Guinan again for as long as they ride.

So is cancer ever a good thing? For the victim most definitely not. Even my first bouts with skin cancer were emotionaly trying. But after watching others struggle with more debilitating illnesses and others striving to help them in various ways; I can say my exposure to Cancer and HIV/AIDS support groups has had a positive influence on me.

I may still hold forth with dark or black humor and even gallows humor at times. But for me it is a coping mechanism. Sometimes to get through and make light of a bad situation, it is easier to mock the darker side of things. Yes, that may sound irreverant and even callous. Yet it also lets me vent my frustrations at what I can not change today and it is a safety valve.

So while I may of been resting physically today, I've had time to rethink why I do some things.

Also I did get in some bagpipe practic today as well so I've not been a total sluggard.

Have a pleasant and easy week everyone.

Q

No comments: