Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I've learned a few things about myself over the past weekend.

I still steriotype people and I am slow to acknowledge things I find confusing to my self and the way I was brought up.

Not charitable or admirable traits, but still part of who I am.

I find some aspects concerning public displays of affection troublesome to view. I'm still not comfortable viewing it, but I've come to realize it is with affection for each other that it is performed.

I've found no problem lending a hand and helping out those who need it, and that would almost seem contraditory to the distance I keep between my self and others.

I still laugh at objectionable things, I truely was of two minds at one point; Partly because the concept was morbidly funny, and partially because I had to document and file a report concerning a similar incident as was being joked about, years ago while in the military.

What I've done and how I've learned has shaped who I am and how I respond to many things; This I know. But surprisingly even with as narrow and conservative a view in which I hold things, I find that given time to watch, talk to and interact with others regardless of our differing backgrounds and view points, we can still find a common ground.

I probably haven't expressed the true depth of my appreciation for those who've really made the Braking the Cycle Bicycle Ride memorable and fulfilling. And I probably can not do so adequately. But to all the people involved from the LGBT Center in NYC to Team Guinan; Thank you all so very much.

Q

No comments: