Friday, February 1, 2008

Of friends, time passages, passings and anchors.

The last couple of days have been kind of hectic and blurred into each other; and time passes ever onward waiting for no man and affecting all men. Yesterday marked the passing into history of my favorite small country store and publich house these past 7 years since I've moved back to NY state from pennsylvania. Located in Garrison, NY. Jim Guinan's store has been a haven from fast paced times and the insanity that posses as progress. Well, there will be histories of the Hudson Valley written and Jim's small part may be footnoted but probably not.

The bar in back of the store wasn't overly remarkable, the view was worth multiple times the value of the building. In the winter the fire place was always there to help warm both local and visitor alike. Jim even when not in residence was still a presence, after all the building was also his home. He had raised his children there after the family emigrated for Ireland. So it isn't some chain store being lost. It is our neighbors whom we accept as family being lost.

So I bemoan the fact that time advances and we fade. But still it is how some people and places affect us which are most profound. We meet people grow close for a while and then lose contact as we move on. So too we lose ourselves a little bit each time.

Well as for my self, I too need to start preparing more earnestly for my future which is fast approaching. I am going to go and travel about the continental United States. My brother has said I can use his home address for some purposes. It seems most states still don't want people to be semi or fully nomadic and to maintain some type of permanent address. Even more so now with the hightened levels of State Security here. Ah well some state will collect fees and taxes off me for a bit more I guess.

So for today take it easy, slow down and reflect a bit on what is important to you.
Cheers.
Q

No comments: