Saturday, February 23, 2008

Last Farewells?

Strange name for a page, last farewells, but seemingly appropriate. Today many of us who were rugulars at Jim Guinan's store gave our last fare well to Mike Mihalic. Mike passed away the Friday after Valentine's Day. his passing was a bit of a shock to those of us who knew him.

He was preceeded by his son ten years ago by a MVA, I never knew his son but I knew Mike through my place of work. I would joke with Mike both while on I was on duty when he'd come into the Fire Station to do some work and at Jim's store about which telecommomunications cable he needed cut. While I wouldn't cut any cables, it would impact both our jobs adversely, I'd always get a loud "Oh don't do that" as it would be sure to cause Mike extra work he didn't need to perform.

Occasionally I'd over hear bits of information which I knew would impact Mike's work or his people so i would pass along those small bits of info to him. Most times the info was good and he was prepared for the changes and adjustments asked of him. But otherwise, we'd pass the breeze while crossing paths. often at Jim's store in Garrison or at the West Point Fire Department's Station 1.

Well today there was a Memorial Service for Mike. Many folks I know and quite a few more I didn't came to St.Phillips Church in garrison to say goodby to Mike. the Cold Spring Fire Department's Pipe and drums played and did a very nice job of it for his services. I will not, nay can not fault any part of their performance: they did a exceptionally nice job.

After the services, all those who were there were invited to the parish house for refreshments, Iwas a pleasure to speak to those there whom I know.

A bit later some of us retired to Jim's home, where he made us all most welcome and allowed us to say goodby to Mike in our own ways.

I titled this "Last Farewells?" as many of us regardless of relious faith or denomination trust in an after life. One in which we may meet again those we've loved and have parted with from our earthly realm.

On our temporial plane, we meet many people interact with some and move on. Sometimes making a lasting bond, somethimes not. But in the end many of us hope, pray and trust that we shall in some ways meet again with those we love or have made an impact upon our lives.
Mike is one such person. Mike you'll be missed.

Well as I said a few of us retired to Jim's after the church services. Jim's store is closed now, but for a little while those of us who were regulars were able to gather again and feel some of the comraderie of happier times. I trust that in the next life we all may be able to gather again and rejoin our friends and enjoy our companionships. So there isn't really a period at the end of the farewell so much as a question mark. For hopefully the farewells aren't final and we shall all meet again.

No comments: