Tuesday, November 18, 2008

On the road again (see also back in nomadic mode.)

18 November, 2008.
I am free again and out of the Apartment! woohooo play Richie Haven's, Freedom loud and hard and Canned Heat's, Going Up Th Country. OK its good to be out of the small place and getting about. But I'm not making solid progress in any one direction and will be finalizing a few smaller details locally first. Um I just realized I need to get my trailer inspected to keep it legal and also need to deposit a check at the credit union. So a day trip back to Highland Falls will occur this afternoon.

I almost cant believe there were 9 full trash bags removed from my small apartment. OK some of it was nick knacks & brick-a-brack I acquired over the years and what not but as they became meaningless with time it was time to dispose of them. One of the local Churches Thrift Shops got my futon. And depending upon how I choose to shelter myself in the coming weeks and months there may be more furniture provided to yet another thrift shop. I am contemplating a small travel trailer as a more practical mode of portable shelter.

So today I am posting from my youngest brother's computer and will be running about consolidating stuff I'll drag along on my journeys. But just getting out of the fatal trap of Highland Falls is a plus.

Highland Falls isn't the worst place on the planet but it a phrase such as "You can't get there from here" ever applied to a place that is it. No bus service to speak of. The nearest train station is in Garrison NY and a taxi at this writing is $25 one way for about 10 miles. The senior bus only serves Ft. Montgomery and Highland Falls and needs to be contacted for service no later than the day before you have to use it and thus in not a true service. A bus to the train station with 8 runs a day would be a better service for the community and region. Well not my problem I free from that closely inbred region of NY state. YYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAAA!

So where do I go from here? Again I'll be consolidating what I need and want to drag about and then its off to Mississippi for Thanksgiving with my Parents. departing hopefully by Thursday the 20th Then after that a new decision shall be made.

Final thing, Wednesday the 19th there is an official welcome back for the members of the 411th Civil Affairs Battalion, USAR, in Danbury, CT. and I plan to be there for that. I've friends still serving with it and this shall be a bit of closure for me as well.

Have a safe Thanksgiving and holiday period.
Q

No comments: