Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Wednesday rundown

Ok today started quite early by waking at 3:30 AM, had no reason to just did. Still its was one of the more comfortable mornings in a long tim with temps in the mid 50 degree range when I went out for a run. Some days I plan my days and runs some days I don't; today I didn't and I did 13 miles fairly comfortably in 2 hours and 21 minutes. Not bad after taking two days off from running. Although I did walk my brother's dogs for 2 miles before I left his place on Monday Morning.

Now how best to describe the area I run in for the most part?
The Lower Hudson Valley between Storm King Mountain and Bear Mountain is the narrowest part of the region with steep hills and great vistas. Emphasis on hills. You may be able to go 2 miles along the roads here with out a significant elevation change. But to depart from the area you will absolutely have to ascend or descent some strong grades at some point. You just cannot escape the hills. So while you may not get the oxygen deficit training runners at altitude in the Rockies get; You most assuredly get a work out on the hills.

Well this morning I started my run from home at 5:00 AM. The first half mile or so reasonably flat when I made my turn onto Satterlee Rd and began my climb. Now I don't do a continuous uphill grind but more like a series of stair steps for the first 1 and 1/4 miles and then a grind uphill for 3/4 miles followed by a gentle down slope to where I made my turn for a continuous 1&1/2 mile uphill grind with no great change in pitch of the road. Reached the top of the hill on Rt 293 by Fire Station 3 and then began my return home via Washington Gate, Central Area, Thayer Gate, and The village Proper of Highland Falls.

Still it was a nice run at the early hour. The Moon was still high in the sky to light my way, the stars could be seen quite plainly even the girdle of the Constellation Orion, aka Orion's Belt. And while its dark at 5:00 AM, its not an oppressive darkness. For as you travel and the scenery changes yo can see the sky towards the east begin to become lighter and then you can distinctly make out the hill tops forming the horizon although the colors still are mottled and dark around you.

Still aside from a few people driving to work at that hour, I've yet to see another runner, even the bicyclists start the day much latter than I do. It wasn't untill I got close to Washington Gate that I saw my first Bicyclist and angain not till I neared the Old PX/Fitness center my first walkers and joggers. By that point I had already covered 8&1/2 miles. At about the 9 mile mark, one of my former co-workers either on his hay to fire Station 2 or to home drove by me and gave me a bit of motivation. Funny but from Dave, being called a old S.O.B. even in jest encouraged me to keep on keeping on.

So that pretty much covers todays' run. Yesterday I had a dental appointment in the AM followed by helping my younger brother clean up around his yard and barn a bit so it was a second day break from running and after seeing my basic time for the 13 miles today, probably a good break from running as well.

Aside from som other issues, not much going on and I'm gonna think about dragging the sailboat over to a local lake today for other relaxation. So everyone take it easy and have a good day. Don't overwork your selves and remember the immortal words of Bobby McFarrin;'Don't Worry, Be Happy.'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The last time I tried to leave you a comment, it didn't work, so cross your fingers... it's just me, Cat, checking in on you today.