Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Wednesday aka Hump Day

A h Wednesday, the middle of the normal work week and oft refered to as Hump Day. Well I sort of made it my Hump Day this week as well running wise. Still I'll start with Monday's meanderings and slide through the events.

Monday, after being out and about plus actively running through the weekend after the 20 mile effort on Friday became a slow easy day. I didn't go for any run, although I did go for a 7 mile walk.

As I went walking I was not too surprised by a stupid human trick I observed. Does anyone remember the old School Bus Safety Training and Slogans. Well many automobile drivers do but at least one school bus driver didn't. The driver of a bus either between or after his rounds and before returning his bus to the yard for the day was taking a break; I won't hold that against anyone. But lack of attention to detail should be held against people. The driver forgot to turn off his red flashing warning lights for the discharge of students when he exited his vehicle. Nor did he look back at his vehicle to check any conditions of it. OK so we now have a school bus stopped at the curb Red Flashers activated, Stop Sign panels deployed and traffic stopping at the start of the evening rush hour. Oh yeah, something to get the monday afternoon rush off right. So as I stated I was out walking, only this time I had my digital camera with me. Took three photos of the bus, one of which was a close up of the diver's side windshield clearly showing the lack of driver in the seat. I then went less than 1/8 mile to the bus company's office and suggested they needed to retrain their driver's. The bus company's response was less than commendable "the driver has 30 years experience" my response was even more to the point "I've driven school bus also, and that indicates a lack of awareness and responsibility on the driver's part". Needless to say I let it at that and the bus company shall be left to attend to its concerns; part of which should be retraining drivers.

Still I did complete my seven mile walk on monday with out further incident. I even picked up the parts needed to repair an old flag staff I have and set that about to proudly displaying old glory too.

Tuesday: did a easy 3&1/3 mile run before going down to bagpipe practice. The ride home was reasonably uneventful even during the Thunderstorm. There were a couple of awesome lightening strikes, but no strong winds, just heavy rain and some fog. Later on Tuesday afternoon I went down by the Hudson River just north of South dock on West Point and practiced my bagpiping for a bit before heading home via the local pharmacy. Its faster to run in there to grab a half gallon of milk than the supermarket.

Wednesday, Hump Day and Hump I did too! I went out for a modest run and was feeling good about myself. So instead of taking a route that would of done just 6 miles. I did an 11.7 mile route; One that took me over the top of West Point (once)and down to the Hudson River (twice) before returning me to my starting elevation. Total elevation change from Highest to lowest point 778 feet. My starting elevation 177 feet. So in a very real acceptance of the meaning I humped up over the hill down and back up.

So now I'm just updating the blog and listening to the birds outside before I make my next choice of actions for the day. Bicycle or walk; Bagpipes or practice chanter; Spaghetti w meat sauce or Hamburgers; Beer or wine. Oh decisions decisions.

Now to try and post related photos but I'll post this first.

Cheers,
Q

No comments: