Monday, September 22, 2008

Monday Morning's Meandering Mindset.






Well the past few days have been busy, enjoyable, unenjoyable, real and surreal. Where and when to start today's entries might be difficult to pin down; the equivalent of nailing a jelly fish to a wall. It just isn't gonna stay where you put it.

Ok so I guess a chronological entry would work if I had remember to take proper notes. But as I'm relying upon memory, you may be in for a disjointed ramble of mis remembered thoughts and impression.

Thursday, 18 Sept, started with letting my landlady's prisoners (dogs) out for a few moments while I prepared them some food and fresh water. Fed them and chased them out side for a while. These dogs all seem to prefer remaining indoors and one is a puppy not yet fully house broken. Well after they are back in I'm off on a 3.3 mile run. Then after that its just a matter of preparing for the day and relaxing through it.

Friday, 19th, Did not run that day at all. Instead I traveled to my brother's home in Dutchess County and performed yard work with him pretty much all day. Got there shortly after 8AM (08:00) and depparted about 8PM (20:00). Burned a brush pile, cut back weeds, cut down a tree which was sectioned for firewood, threw weed cuttings and unusable sections of the tree onto the brush pile, picked up fallen limbs and branches added them to the brush pile. By 6PM (18:00) we had a mound of ash and coals nearly 3 feet (1 meter) in height and roughly 6 feet (2 Meters) across which would be producing a quantity of heat through the nigh. Decaying logs with a high moisture content take a long time to burn. Dinner was pizza about 7PM (19:00) and I departed just after 8PM (20:00) for home. Friday night arriving at was ominous. The land lady's front light was on car in the driveway and nobody home.

Saturday 20, I awoke to Opera, No not my radio set to a classical station. But my land lady entertaining her boyfriend. They were in full production of the Lustful Opera complete with horizontal rabbit dance, bed spring and bed bounce orchestral overtures and estactic arias. I couldn't get dressed and out fast enough. Went to Thomas Bull Park and partook of a 5K (3.1 mi) race finishing 39th overall in 26:13
As it was a warm & sunny day, and I was playing around having a fun time annoying the other runners, I'll be happy with my time. Hey, when you start running backwards and yell at the folks chasing they had better keep up with a Grandmother you had a hard time catching and passing, You know you aren't running seriously. Still I had fun filling out the forms and playing with the pencils on the group W bench too.
Still I did help one runner to finish in 27 minutes and he was hoping for a 29 minute finish so I guess I wasn't too unruly.

After the race I went to Frank's Shoe Fitting in Middletown NY. Now Frank is a current Guinness Book record holder for Transcontinetal runs of the lower 48. It looks as if this year his record shall be broken by a couple of folks who have run across the top of Africa through the Sahara Desert. He's also provided the guys currently making the attempt with some background as for how he did it and is supportive of their efforts and that is the type of person Frank is.

Saturday afternoon, home quick shower frsh clothes rinse out my running atire and hang out to dry and out I go for the day. Since its a FootBall Saturday on Campus, ARMY vs Akron, staying in the village is not a likely option so I head across the river. Cold Spring is a weekend tourist destination so up river to Beacon I go to a small hole in the wall bar. Plug for Sam Adams Lager, OK plug done. So I'm sitting at the bar and I hear a voice I recognize. I look down to the end and yes, some one I know who I haddn't seen in numerous moths. Open mouth make comment; Well I watched the jaw drop and light bulb come on on this one. Even the Bartender whom I've never met before is sratching his head thinking What the ____? But to make a long sory readable A fellow I know from another Bar and through my older brother was srpised as can be to see me and didn't recognize me. It might of been the sun glasses but probably the weight lost by training to run in a marathon.

Saturday night and thers a party going on to which I'm not a guest nor party of so back out to another bar. Met witha few folks from the WTU/Warrior Transition Unit assigned to West Point had a few stories with them purchesed them a Pithcer of beer and headed home hopefully to sleep.

Sunday Morning. Ahh quietude, nope. Commence the Opera, Oh well. check some e-mails and out the door with a change of clothes and off to Round Pond I go. Its a comfortable sunny morning and I run 6 laps around Round Pond. That makes for about 5 miles following which I go into the Camp Grounds bath house, Shower and next door to throw my stuff into the laundry. About noontime (12:00) my laundry is done and I've tooled around with some bagpiping items and am on my way to the service station to fuel my van grab some snacks and go over to Garrison NY.

The Garrison Yatch Club is hosting a small band, The Shanghie String Band; OK I'm not sure if that is the correct spelling but they are a good Blue Grass Sound. But prior to them performing I help Neil and another Yatch Club member set up for the performers. After set up and everthing is in place I practice with the Great Highland Bagpipes on the Garrison Docks for a bit and then put my pipes away I'm just a simple unpolished performer and I want to listen to the band as it is not perform with them.

Later in the Evening Captain Tom Whyte arrives with a WWII vintage PT Boat from Fleet Obsolete, Which has been repowere with 2 detroit diesels as opposed to the 3 Allison gasoline powered Aircraft Engines which it would have used in the 1940s Still it was a fun ride, and I'm impressed with how small the old surface combatant truely was.

Late into the evening I helped Neil put some items away and call it a night.

Monday Morning the 22nd of September; Opera Again at 5AM Oh well I guess I can always post in the Blog.

No comments: