Friday, January 16, 2009

Weekend Update, Isle of Bones,

January 16th, 2009 and I'm as far South as I can concievably get without leaving the Continental United Sates; Even though I'm on Key West, Florida.

So What has been going on so far; a lot and not too much.

Most impressive sounding achievement, but not really: I ran across the width of Florida, Twice! From the Gulf of Mexico to the Atlantic Ocean and back. Duval Street has been called the longest road in America due to its connecting tow major bodies of water but the average width of Key West is just one mile. So as I said impressive sounding but not really an impressive feat.

The cheapest way to see Key West, aside from being homeless here, is by RV and camping. For this trip I've redesignated my van as "The Tenament on Wheels" It is shelter from the winds blowing across the island and kitchen as well as Internet connection site and power source for the computer. I walk about a football field's distance to the showers and toilets. Camping on Sigsbee part of KW Naval Air Station is the cheapest way to do it at about 16 dollars a day. I'll be here till friday the 23rd when I start heading back north. I've a VA appointment on the 29th and generally see the Dr a week later and I've a dental appointment on the 19th of Feb.

The museums here are interesting and there is a lot of schlocky kitsch but its a different environment and I feel worth the visit so far. Pricey compared to the mainland but not overly so. Just look to keep within a strong budget.

I've found 2 irish Bars on the Island one in the old town/tourist district and one on the working side of the Island near the Airport on Flagler Ave. Neither are overly impressive although the expats from the UK seem to go to the working side. Black & Tans are $3.00 for a 16 oz glass and you can even get a 20oz Imperial Pint.

Well I've been running pretty much every morning. That and using the bicycle to get around is helping to keep my weight down. Blossom's Market near the gate for the USCG station has breakfast sandwiches for $2.50 and strong good cuban coffee. Unless you are directed to it you won't likely find it. Its a small establishment but pleasant.

I still find it disgusting when the locals call 60 degrees farenheit cold. Its not cold here but the breeze and wind has been a continuous factor. I'll put the pop up canopy up about mid-day as shelter from the sun, but come evening I bring it back down and secure the top canvas as the light weight thing wasn't designed with any wind loading in mind.

I won't even begin to estimate the miles I've run while on the island, but the highest elevation being only 16 feet, makes any run easy. Not anything at all like the trudgign jogs I've done up stoney Lonesome Road on West Point.

Well Not too much to add, The weather is pretty good overall, a wind breaker is about the worst I've needed. Unless I'm on the motorcycle, Then I want the leathers, two reasons; Wind protection and due to the way the locals drive I want some addition coverage for the skin if one decides they want my space on the road. They have an un-nerving tendency to swing wide on turns, and they aren't driving but sedans and pickup trucks.

Well that covers this week and I'll stay off line for a while.
Have a safe week everyone;

Q

No comments: