Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Stupid Biker/Motorcyclist Tricks, Isle of Bones, Key West.

Well in a few more days I'll be heading back to NY state for My annual visitation of the Castle Point VA hospital but I've some time yet to spend here in the Florida Keys. I've also a pile of work waiting for me at my Brother's place too when I return there.

But Stupid Biker/Motorcyclist tricks. As I've both my motorcycle and bicycle here I've freedom of transit for large distances on the island. And I tend to employ each mode of transportation as I see fit. For the local tourist sites the bicycle for running to the commissary generally the motorcycle.

Well Yesterday I road my bicycle to the main PX and picked up some gatoraid Although I would prefer Poweraid from the Commisary as its much less expensive. Still I've gotten enough to sustain me on my morning runs. But as I was leaving the Navy Complex a fast moving gale came through and provided me with a bit of a free rinse cycle. Well needless to say I was well covered with road grime when I returned to my camp site and showered off to commence my afternoon rambles.

As for Today (20 January, 2009. Inauguration Day for Mr. Obama) I did my standard run of about 5 & 3/4 miles and followed that with a motorcycle circuit of Key West. Well on my last 1/4 mile or so of road before entering the navy base I'm camped on; A gale line rolled across the island. According to the police officer at the gate I had basicly ridden under a water spout that had not touched land. UMmmmm OK I dodged a small tornado essentially and rode through it's displayed ground effects. Just another good reason to wear a helmet and leather jacket while riding the motorcycle (not just here but anywhere I go it seems)

Another thing I'm doing is paying attention to my banking via the computer. Its surprizingly easy but I'm wary of over spending and do so way too easily. Still barring any unfortunate instances I should be able to return to NY without any unreasonable expenses.

This week I may inquire about the availability of jobs here on Key West. I would consider a maintenance position for the fleet of tour buses as a posibility although I could also get a permit and busk the tourists for spare change by performing down by the docks too. Bagpiper with a attitude, sun burn and vaguely NY accent?

Well as I sit here doing laundry I'm checking my computer accounts and charging up my cell phone and two portable VHF marine radios. The VHF radios come in hand just for the NOAA weather reports and alerts. I'm not talking to any vessels but by monitoring specific channels I can also follow some of the local sail boat races as well.

So I'll conclude this report for now, Wish everyone well and don't be too jealous. I'm camping under some modest conditions that could be called just a step up from primitive.

Cheers & Prosit Alles!
Q

No comments: