Saturday, January 3, 2009

January 3rd and a bit of a rambling missive.

Saturday; January 3rd, 2009.
Yesterday; Fri Jan 2nd. I started the day with a 2.18 mile run. Followed that up by going to my Cousin's place and burning the day with him. We had a late breakfast at 10:30 AM followed by an excursion to a Lowes Box store for some materials for a project he is working upon at his business. Then the afternoon was spent with 2 hours of pulling Spanish Moss from a Myrtle (sic) Tree before heading to a Tap Room and Buffett for a early dinner. As for last evening, a good shower to wash the Spanish Moss Spores from my face arms and neck and a load of laundry whilst I played upon the computer. All in all a not too unusual day.

As for today Sat: Jan 3rd. I'm thinking I'll go down to Largo to the Armed forces Military Museum. It opens at noon, so I've time for a run this morning if I so choose.

As for recreational persuits, there is an advertisment filled free paper called Creative Loafing which can help provide ideas for places to go and things to do, experience and see. In a way I've become a bit of something for other winter vacationers to see as well. Not that I'm an exhibitionist, but I've been going down to the beach front locally for when I practice my bagpiping. So for a few other folks its been a different experience too.

In regards to future plans; Tomorrow I'm bringing my parents back to Mississippi and may spend a few days there. Upon my return to Florida I'm looking to head down to Key West NAS for at least a week. I'll use the campgrounds there for a base of operations while I explore the local color.

Well for now, I'll just live each day as it unfolds, be thankful for what I have and try to take things easy; regardless of how much some things or people will tend to annoy me. Well time to mellow out and start the day. Have a safe one everyone.

18:10 PM, 3 Jan,09. So what did I do today?
Well I didn't run; Time to give my feet and ankles a well earned rest after running every morning for the previous 36 days.

On the other hand I did do some recreational activities; Went to the American Armed Forces Museum in Largo. Its a nice little place with some very unique items. A Ford XM151 Jeep and a WWII GMC Duck along with Stewart Tanks and Sherman medium and a Chaffee Tank, Gama Goats, M35A2 and numerous other artifacts. The WWI Trench simulation is nice as is the St. Mere Inglese Display of WWII. The display on Pearl Harbor is staggering. The only drawback to the modest museum is that it isn't easy to find being tucked into anout of the way industrial park. The City of Largo and their Chamber of Commerce should advertise it and have its location better marked. It has potential to be a modest tourist draw.

I did purchase a new pair of jeans, I'm never thrilled with the aspect of going to WalMart but sorte in to one I did. In and out reasonably quick grabbed a pair from a common manufacturer (Wranglers made in Mexico) paid for em and left. I had purchased a pair of jeans at the AAFES on West Point last year made in South Africa. Oh the fit but they just never feel right. So I'm now up to two pair of relaxed fit Wrangler jeans.

So this afternoon I sat about and channel surfed for about two hours for the first time in months. The News of whats happening in Isreal and the Gaza Strip had had me slighly enthalled if thats the correct wording. Regardless of how the Islamic world responds, I do feel that Isreal has taken the correct response to the terrorist activities of Hamas.

In other things, My motorcycle is now fueled and locked up for a few days storage as I'll be driving my parents back to MS starting Sunday Morning. I'll be spending a couple of days there probably before returning to FL. I do want to get down to Key West and visit the area.

Another thing I did today was set up an on-line banking account with the Credit Union I am a member of. I do need to check on my account status from time to time so that I don't overspend. My money market account is a weak safety net but its all I've got if anything happens. Now I need to really restrict my spending habits. Prices will go up and my income is pretty much frozen. Whats even worse is that numerous states are looking for increased revenues by raising gas taxes. Yet I've never seen a politician support a pay freeze for himself as a cost savings measure for tax payers. Ah well some day I'll have the opprotunity to not assist a politician because I can't afford to assist them.

Well, 19:30 and the day is about done. I'll pull out my electronic bagpipes shortly and practice with that for a while. Then call it a night.

Have a safe night and upcoming week everyone.

Q

No comments: