Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Its the end of the year as we know it; And I feel fine.

Well 2008 is drawing to a close and a new year begins just micro seconds after the stroke of midnight. I suppose reflections on the waning year are in order. If I were a serious blogger I'd have my thoughs laid out and ordered by the months, weeks, days, hours and minutes; But I'm not and my thought won't be. I'm a man, who's train of though will be switched onto different tracks and occasionally derail. So if you can deal with a circuitous route of though, enjoy the ride.

January:
Freedom, Freedom, Freedom from work but not NY as I originally planned. Foiled by my own self. I dislocated the patella on my right knee and spent some time undergoing physical therapy and rehab.

Jim Guinan's Store in Garrison, NY closed officially for the last time. Those of us who felt as comfortable there as in our own homes lost a part of our selves that day.

February:
Mike Mihalic passed away and was buried next to his son; A man never to act cross or bitter athough he would of had reason if he chose to. A gentle soul who is not forgotten.

March:
Ran in my first 10K race in many a year on the 16th and did comfortably at just under an hour. Knee braces were very much needed. Then played the bagpipe in the Southgate tavern on St. Paddy's day proper.

April:
Taxes of course, but also paid a visit to Congressman Hall's Office as it had been over 100 days since I retired from the Fire Department at the U.S. Military Academy and not seen a retirement check. I was living off my savings and it was seriously depleted by that point. When the Dod fouls something up it is beyond comprehension as to how screwed up the flunkies can get it. Hopefully the actions I took prevented any bonuses from being provided to the work force at the Army Benefits Center. I even as the Inspector General's Office to look into why the paperwork sat untouched for 56 days.

May:
Signed up with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, to do a fund raiser and run in the Team in Training program. I choose the Marine Corps Marathon asmy goal to run in. two reasons; My older brother is a Leukemia Survivor, and I felt that as I now had the time being retired i could commit myself to the training and fund raising.
Saturday, May 24th became my official first day of training with an easy paced 7.5 mile run on Rt 293 in West Point, NY.

June; the statrt of Summer:
Lots of running and fundraising work in June. Spent about $100 in fund raising mailings alone. Ran 143.77 miles for the month.

I don't remember clearly but I'd need to look at Wendy Bounds' Blog to recall the month and day I learned John Guinan passed on. His brain cancer caused his family so much grief and suffering, yet John took it nobly and presented a strong face for his friends. His strenght made it easier for everyone. Yes, we railed and mourned in our own ways. God Bless you John, you like Mike live on in our hearts.

July:
Hot and humid days. Still doing a great many mailings for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Running early in the morning and hiding from the Sun at mid-day. Having had a few bouts with skin cancer over the years I now try to avoid excess exposure to strong sun light.

Ran 187.69 miles for the month with 17.8 miles being my longest run.

August:
Still hot and humid many days spent starting my running at 04:00 to avoid the high heat of the day. Continued my fund raising efforts.

Ran 160.59 miles for the month. Longest run was 20 miles in 4 hours. Dehydration was an issue and I learned a strong lesson on that day.
Also ran two 5K races on back to back days, Sat & Sun with a time of 25:47 for both races.

September:
Still running and fund raising. 164.03 miles for the month. Also took part in helping Team Guinan raise funds to support the war on AIDS. John Guinan rode for years in Braking the Cycle and his daughter and friends have worked hard to support his memory by riding the 275 miles from Gettysburg PA to Manhattan NY. It was an honor to support all the members; Kelly, Ed, Christine, Dean, Chris, Wendy & Lisa. I'm more than ready to support them again next year.

October:
Ah the fruition of my training for the Marine Corps Marathon.
Ran 154.09 miles for the month and completed the MCM in 5:23:56 from the starting gun and 5:15:00 from crossing the starting line. I achieved my fund raising goal of 2,800 dollars and went over that as well thans to Team Guinan and ABATE of Pennsylvania's Pike County Chapter. Thanks for everyone's support on my behalf.



Novemeber:
Freedom!
I'm out of the Apartment and on the road freeloading at my brother's and parent's homes. No not really; I was out of the Apartment by mid Novemeber and was glad to be free of it. Read the full blog for the year especially the summer season and you'll understand why.

Spent a week at my youngest brother's place getting some things in order and helping out there. Took his sons to Karate practice and Swim team practice in addition to minor chores around the home while I was there. Then it was on to my Parent's home in Mississippi for Thanksgiving.

In regards to running. Yes, I'm still running I ran a Half Marathon on the 29th of Novemebr down in Orange Beach Alabama 2:26:49 and completed just 90.45 miles for the month. 7 days I didn't run and most days were very short on mileage at about 3 miles a day on average.

December:
Went from MS to FL to MS to FL and will be returning to MS for a couple of days in January but I'm in FL for now.

I'm at my Aunt's home for the Christmas & New Years Holidays and after the New Year, I'll drive my Parents back to MS before returning to FL and heading to Key West for a few weeks.

As for Running. Um yeah I've been doing that alot. Helps to maintain my sanity over the excess food intake of the holidays. Dis another half marathon on the 14th of December, just two days after I turned 51. Finished in 2:18:22. A strong finish and excellent time for me.

Also for December including today the 31st. I've run ever day of the month and completed 164.48 miles. Since keeping a record of distances run since the end of May I've accumlated 1145.66 miles. Tomorrow Morning I will run my last consecutive day and complete out running since Thanksgiving Morning. Tomorrow will make 36 days of running. How far I go I don't know I'm just going out to run.

OK not a very exciting or inciteful blog. I haven't thank everyone enough for the support they've given me over the past year. Especially those who've helped with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society effort in various ways; Jerry & Benny.

But in and case, my regards to Everyone even if I haven't mentioned you directly.
and Consider the words to Auld Lang Syne. Peace and safety is my wish for everyone in the upcoming year.

May you be sorrounded by friends where every you may go and enjoy each day you recieve as we are not certain of tomorrow.

Q

No comments: