Wednesday, June 24, 2009

America's Choice, not made in the USA

24 June 2009,
The United States of America a nation which doesn't comprehend irony.

Today, I went shopping for a few small items, nothing of any true consequence in the greater scheme of life. but something which give a person a reason to pause and wonder just what the F is going on in corporate America? After all there are the marketing drives to buy American in order to preserve U.S. jobs and industry. But how much do we pay attention to the goods we purchase? Today I stopped in an A&P supermarket, A&P is standard grocery chain prices are a little high but any supermarket is going to try to rip off the consumer in order to make a profit, but I digress. The Name A&P is from the old Atlantic & Pacific chain of stores and probably most people would assume they are American owned.

But what caught my eye today was something that most people will probably never notice. The item in question is bleach. yes, the stuff that gets whites whiter and sanitizes all sorts of childrens toys, sick room items etc,etc. Well I looked at the prices for several different brands and the different bottles. There is basic bleach; there is scented bleach; there is concentrated bleach. What the hell happened to old fashioned plan old bleach? Clorox is still a popular brand name and most people never give it a second thought and clorox was on the shelf in a small bottle of just the size I really needed as I don't use it too often or need much. Still I am on a budget and did a little price comparisons as well. For a slightly larger volume and a lower price there is a product called "America's Choice". That looks like a better deal price wise even though I'll probably not use the full volume of the product.

America's Choice, the name has a nice ring to it. The name implies that it is an American product. Wow a value price product that says on the labeling its is America's Choice! Then on the bottom band of the plastic bottle pritned in clear black letters as easy to read as the product label it self are three simple words that gave me pause after looking upon the America's Choice name. And those three simple words are
"Made In Canada"!

So I guess I can assume that the American choice is for a product not made in the USA.

Is there a message here I'm not quite getting?

No comments: