Monday, July 6, 2009

The Independence Day Weekend and a rant about it.

Well the Independence Day, July 4th, weekend is about over. Not that this one was overly impressive. Nor did I have much in the expectations of it. But it marks a passing of sorts as well. Other Bloggers can cover the political implications, both nationally and internationally. I just don't see it as a day of much anticipated excitement anymore. Oh there are the fireworks displays, the bar-b-ques, the various parties; yet none of that seems to stir my interests. I can't say why, its my own fault for sure; still maybe having been stuck in positions where I couldn't seem to enjoy them has dampend the anticipation of the celebrations.

So July 4th, the big events were walking 8,800 meters through the woods on a trail dedicated to a victim of September 11th, 2001; Practicing with my bagpipes and realizing I'm not playing a few tunes as well as I should and stopping at Burkes in the Hamlet of Patterson for a few beers. There I met with a person I should of remembered from high school and his sister. Yet for the life of me I couldn't quite place him. Well it isn't a big deal as I've been quite a few places in my 51 years on the planet, met numerous peoples on 3 continents, several islands, and a host of nations and states. Remembering more than a few if I stumbled across them accidentally could prove to be a trick. Still we could name the folks we knew in common.

I purchased a new MP3 player today as my previous one went tits up on me. It wouldn't indicate that it could take a charge let alone be turned on. The most difficult part was finding a cheapo unit under $30.00 with 2 gigs of memory. Finally I broke down and went to Wallymart for one. lets just say the pink color is hideous and leave it at that, a magic marker can improve the outward appearance but the functionality is more important to me. I use the MP3 player for my longer runs, as I usually am a solitary runner without anyone to talk to and it eases the monotony of the runs.

Finally the weather has improved! yesterday and today there was no rain! The 27 days out of 30 that it rained in June was psychologically tormenting. Still I'm gladdened by the break from the sodden grey pattern.

So now I'm taking a short break from the day to put down my missives and listen to some music of which one tune was banned in England for damning the justice system there. But the lively lilting tunes will be added to the new MP3 player for when I go a running.

As for running, I've started compiling a log of the distances I have covered since June 1st. this is partially an attempt to help keep me motivated to train up for and run in another Marine Corps Marathon as well as a way of keeping a journal of the days' events that observe and jot down. Much of that won't make it into the blog, but it'll be referenced from time to time as I update the blog. But that is all from me for now and I'll down load this into the blog a bit later.

Alternate Realities or A Rant about my holiday Weekend;

Thank goodness its Monday and the USA Birthday Mash is over; maybe the refugees from the Twilight zone I came across this past weekend have crawled back under their rocks or gone to work with severe hangovers at best or looking to score some more crack.

Surrealism has nothing on some of the devolved bipedal life forms I've encountered. Neanderthals and troglodytes would be more highly evolved than a few of the freaks and geeks I came across. If I were a sociologist I could of captured living breathing specimens for the need of selective sterilization.

If there is such a thing as a Moron Magnet some one must of slipped it into my pocket as they were coming out in droves. A couple probably would of been more comfortable shacked up cuddling large bore weaponry and contemplating how to pull off a successful Guy Fawkes style change of government.

Escapees from the state home for homicidal maniacs would of been more sane and easier to deal with. At least the fictional Hannibal Lecter had a cultured personna when in public. But these future contestants for the Darwin Awards had little to no socially redeaming value and if added to the list of animal parts added to dog chow would of rendered the processed meal unfit for animal consumption.

Granted I may be a candidate to contract Bovine Sponiform Encephalopathy aka Mad Cow Disease. But even folks with Creutzfeld-Jacob Disease or its variant at least have a physiological reason for their lack of social graces and ill behavior. At least two folks this weekend have descended into depths of insanity that would require a straight jacket and a padded cell in less progressive societies.

One was the anti-government ranter who railed against taxation, presumed corruption, terroristic threats from the taxation offices, etc etc etc.

The other, a female of dubious mental capacity who apparently earned a living as a speed bag in a gym from the looks of her face and displayed pugilistic tendencies while demanding some one pay a bit of attention to her where as if she had walked upon the pedestrian path as a Police Officer where to pass by would probably be taken to the neasest hospital for psychiatric observation.

Total intoxication and severe myopia coupled with beer goggles could not of rendered that specimen of womanhood into anything resembling a potential object of sexual gratification. So dark was the attitude placed upon public display, you'd think she were a devil as her tongue went clickety clack and she wasn't wearing a tongue stud.

The rural residents of Appalachia have grace and decent manners compared to the urban half wits I've encountered over the past weekend.

Thank goodness the weekend is past and many people are going back to the drudgery of every day employment, I'm not sure I could of kept from going ballistic upon an encouter with another escapee from a Forensic Psychiatric Care Facility, aka Jail for the insane.

End of ranting opinion.
*******************************************
Aging is manditory; Maturing isn't.
I signed up for what? A Marathon!? Am I nutz?

No comments: